What about getting a divorce?

As heterosexual marriages are generally recognized universally, heterosexual couples who marry in Canada can file for divorce in their home country or state.  As same-sex marriages from Canada are recognized in only a few jurisdictions around the world, the only way for the vast majority of these same-sex marriages to legally divorce is in Canada.  However, Canadian law requires at least one of the couple to live in Canada for a year.  A recent Vancouver Sun article talks more about this issue for same-sex couples looking to marry in Canada.

Share this post

scroll to top